In 1915 when the Panama-California Exposition opened in Balboa Park, local artists of the time showed their work to the world. Many of them joined civic leaders to organize and fund a new art museum, lending their vision to its eventual grandeur. By 1926, when the San Diego Museum of Art opened its doors, the creativity of local artists permeated its design, façade and its early collections. Thus debuted the first contribution of the San Diego Museum of Art Artists Guild. To this day, the Artists Guild continues its support of the museum.
Read more about our history and some of our members over the years:
The Contemporary Artists of San Diego Invade the Museum - It's 1929
Captain James R. Brown
Donal Hord, "La Tehuana", 1936
Ilse and Lloyd Ruocco
What Do These Works of Art Have in Common?